Registering a building

Buildings covered

The guarantee plan ensures that the contractor must fulfill a number of obligations, and covers the following types of new residential buildings exclusively:

  • Detached, semi‑detached or row-type single‑family house
  • Multifamily building of two to five units, held in undivided co‑ownership (intergenerational, duplex, triplex, etc.)
  • Multifamily building held in divided co‑ownership (condo) of no more than four stacked private portions


  • Transformation of buildings
  • Building renovations such as extensions, construction on an existing foundation or construction of a non‑adjacent garage to the property
  • Condominium buildings that have more than four superimposed private portions
  • A home you have built yourself, without the help of a general contractor*



Mandatory listing of new residential buildings constructed for rental purposes

Sometimes, a building constructed for rental purposes may be repurposed in the 24 months following the completion of work, and its units may be sold instead of rented. In the interest of ensuring adequate coverage for buyers and fair treatment for contractors, GCR would like to share with you the procedure for buildings constructed for rental purposes.

→ Review the details for listing a building constructed for rental purposes.


Prefabricated homes

Prefabricated homes are subject to certain exceptions:

  1. If the sales contract is concluded with the manufacturer of a prefabricated home and includes complete home installation (turnkey project), the manufacturer must register the residential unit.
  2. If the sales contract and installation contract are concluded with the general contractor (turnkey project), the general contractor must register the residential unit.
  3. If the sales contract is concluded with the manufacturer of the prefabricated home and the installation contract is concluded with a general contractor, only the on-site installation work, by the contractor, is covered by the plan.


Self-built home

Self-built homes are a special case and not generally covered by GCR. Of course, first we need to determine whether a home actually qualifies as a self-build.

→ This chart can help you determine whether a building must be registered with GCR

Ultimately, it all depends on what work is performed by a contractor with a 1.1.1. or 1.1.2 licence subclass, as well as the elements of construction for which the contractor is responsible.


Elements of construction that GCR considers to be major:

  • Foundation
  • Frame
  • Insulation
  • Doors and windows

Example: if a contractor is responsible for only one major element of construction (e.g., the foundation) and has the necessary licence subclass, the building does not need to be registered. However, if the contractor is responsible for two or more elements (e.g., the foundation and the frame), the unit must be registered with GCR.

When should you register a building?

To register a building with GCR, you must follow the steps set out in the Regulation respecting the guarantee plan for new residential buildings.

You must register each building by the time the first of these events occurs:

  1. The business contract or preliminary contract is signed
  2. Construction permits are issued
  3. Construction work begins on the building to be registered

The forms to register a building are available for free in the Zone GCR (in french).

→ Detailed home registration process (in french).

→ Detailed condo registration process (in french).

Registration fees

Registration fees vary based on the Cote Qualité GCR and the building class.

Fees include:

  • The fee to register the unit
  • Risk management fees (fees for inspections, analysis, tests, etc.)
  • The $300 (plus applicable taxes) that is required for the RBQ guarantee fund
  • The $53.63 (plus applicable taxes) that has been required by the RBQ since January 1, 2015

→ List of registration fees

If you would like a hard copy of the form for registering single-family residential buildings, you must pay the administrative fee that has been in place since January 1, 2020, which applies to each registration. We encourage you to register all of your new projects in the Zone GCR.

Documents required for registration

@ Copyright 2021 - Garantie Construction Résidentielle